Sunday 14 September 2008

The sweet smell of ..... progress ! 14.09.08

Welcome back to Reads Allotment Retreat, our new blog guide to growing your own veg in Raised Beds - Allotment style! Work has continued over the last couple of days, transforming our blank canvas of a plot into something that resembles our initial plan. This pic shows one end of the plot, home to 4 raised beds which measure approx 7' x 4', and all dug to a depth of 1 spit. The ground is breaking up really well - better than i expected anyway! If you had told me i would have done this much in 4 short weeks, i would not have believed you! I feel sorry for Ray - like me - new to all this, on the next plot to mine. His soil is really wet / heavy clay. Me thinks I've been kind of lucky.

Looking down the plot from the other end, you can see where I've started on the second "U" shaped bed. Initially I just lift the turf with a fork, before lifting this off. Doing this with a few days gap in between, allows the underside of the turf to dry off, making it easier to separate from the soil. I'm planning on buying some timber to form the beds later in the month, and hopefully - depending on the weather , get round to planting some veg before christmas. So much to do and so little time !

Really must dash now, up at 4 in the morning for work . Take care all, and come back soon.

TTFN.

No comments: