Wednesday 11 March 2009

Beware - Sharp Frost !

Welcome back, to Reads Allotment Retreat.
Last night we had a sharp frost here in Kent, a stark reminder not to start planting out too soon. Reading my blog notes from last year it seems we had snow in April, but you cant account for all eventualities. Even so, any planting outside is still a way away. I popped up to our plots yesterday, and met our new neighbour Josie. It'll be nice to have a regular visitor to the neighbouring plot. Still not much happening up there, as I continue to juggle work commitments with free time. At least there is some activity in the greenhouse. This pic shows the first and second earlies chitting away well. Yesterday afternoon i put up a higher shelf on the opposite wall. This space is now home to these pots, where they are now closer to the light, they should put on good chit growth. I examined each tuber yesterday, and removed all chits except the one growing on the crowns. Some say this is a wasted exercise, but each to their own eh ? It seems to pay dividends to me, so I'll keep doing it.

I have been advised by a fellow fruit tree grower, that I have planted my fruit trees ; specifically the Victoria Plum, too close to an existing Damson tree, which could lead to pollination problems. With that in mind; and after a discussion with Josie, we have agreed to move the trees to a different location. The Plum tree will be moved onto the plot, whilst the other 3 trees will be resited. Lets hope they have not established too much, although I'm sure that any resiting will stunt their growth somewhat.

Thats about it for now, but pop back soon for more updates.

TTFN

No comments: