Sunday 27 September 2009

Maincrop Spuds - Cara

Welcome back to Reads Allotment Retreat, where today we lifted the last of the Maincrop spuds(v.Cara - pic). We had a good harvest and are relatively pleased with the net result. However, we have decided next year that we will be growing just first and second earlies, staggering the planting dates a bit more to extend the crop season. We find that maincrop varieties are so cheap in the winter months that we may as well buy them, and concentrate our growing on the more expensive / harder to find varieties that we really enjoy.



More updates from the plot soon.

TTFN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was considering growing main crop potatoes next year and hadn't really though about cost...I suppose it just depends whether you want to grow a particular type...I am hoping to be able to grow king Edwards as I love them and they are often hard to buy...I think this is a main crop potato but have to look into it more.

Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Hi there Tanya,
King Edwards are indeed a maincrop variety. We chose Cara for their high yield and scab / eelworm resistance. There are loads to choose from, including some heirloom varieties that might be worth a shot. We have already ordered our spuds for next year, and expect delivery of them early in January.

All the best.

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

I love growing potatoes here in Pennsylvania though I am a lazy potato grower--I don't even dig but lay newspaper, the seed potatoes, and then layers of straw. It's a good way to get some potatoes while killing the sod for a new bed. . .but I never get the crop you did. My daughters enjoy the potato hunt at the end of the season, though. . .and they taste so yummy.