Thursday 3 September 2009

Plum Jam - Yum!

Welcome back to Reads Allotment Retreat. What a glorious sight to see when i got home from work last night: 7 Jars of scrummy Plum & Cinnamon jam to add to our stash! We are rapidly losing count of how many jars / varieties we now have, maybe we should write a list? This one will probably be named Woodpecker Plum, after the location where the plums were picked ? I'm thinking of starting a new blog to list all the jam / preserve / chutney recipe's that we use, so you too can make similar types. Let me know if you're interested! Check out our new blog here.




At some point today we need to visit the plot. The main reason is the weather: Wind speeds upwards of 30mph / gusts upwards of 45mph are forecast for the next couple of days, so i need to make sure my bean canes are still firmly planted in the ground !
The other reason is that I have salvaged a First Aid Box (wall mounted) from work, and we will be donating it to the Allotment Society. Many times I have cut my fingers, but no-one ever seems to have any plasters ! Maybe when we have donated this box the society can use some of it's funds to stock it ?

Finally, you may have noticed a slight change to the blog title ? Well we started with Plot 81, but now we also have Plot 83 & Plot 87!

That's all for now, but see you again soon?

Enjoy your plots,

TTFN

6 comments:

Jenn's Cooking Garden! said...

I just picked a ton of plums! Im looking for a good recipe for plum jam! Yours looks great. first time visitor to your blog. Good stuff!

Tanya. said...

I have plum jam too...:-)...i am very jealous that you now have 3 allotment plots...I only have a half..I have my fingers crossed to receive another half so please cross yours for me too!!

By the way...how much cinnamon did you put in the jam for each pound of plums??? I quite like the sound of that.

Kella said...

Hi just wanted to say thanks for adding yourself to 'my followers' as it helped me find your allotment blog again. It was your lovely blog I was reading about a month agao that helped me to id the cherry plums that was growing on my bus route home but then I lost your blog link.

This led to two foraging expeditions and maybe a third this weekend if I can fit it in. The fruit we collected, my daughters and myself were used to not only make jams but lots of other scrummy stuff to eat.

I have added you to my blogs to follow list so that I can keep up with your progress.

Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Thanks Kella for your kind comments.

Love your blog too by the way.

TTFN

Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Hi all,

Recipe Blog is up and running!

Check out: www.readsrecipes.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

Eight by Six said...

Great to see you made jam out of the plums from the orchard I told you about. I have just made plum chutney with ginger tonight. Great blog, thanks.